Trump administration is pulling 5,000 troops from Germany

The U.S. is withdrawing approximately 5,000 troops from Germany, Pentagon officials said Friday, after President Donald Trump threatened to do so this week following criticism over the war with Iran by the German chancellor.

WASHINGTON — The U.S. is withdrawing approximately 5,000 troops from Germany, Pentagon officials said Friday, after President Donald Trump was angered by criticism from the German chancellor over the war with Iran.

Subscribe to read this story ad-free

Get unlimited access to ad-free articles and exclusive content.

The move would include one brigade combat team as well as other forces inside Germany, the officials said. The decision does not appear to affect the U.S. military’s massive medical support bases, like Landstuhl, where thousands of troops, including those who have been injured during the war, have been taken for medical treatment.

The decision was a direct response to comments made by Chancellor Friedrich Merz, but also reflected Trump’s frustration that U.S. allies aren't doing enough, according to a senior Pentagon official. Trump has been threatening Germany and other NATO allies over their refusal to engage in the U.S. and Israel-led war on Iran. He suggested earlier this week he might pull troops from Germany.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/trump-administration-pulling-5000-troops-germany-rcna343147


Post ID: cab36e3e-3afa-49f5-ae2e-e3a1dbc63894
Rating: 5
Created: 2 weeks ago
Your ad can be here
Create Post

News's other ads