FIFA executives Arsene Wenger and Mattias Grafstrom distance themselves from Gianni Infantino’s $20 billion plan
Two senior FIFA executives — coaching great Arsène Wenger and CEO-like secretary general Mattias Grafström — distanced themselves Tuesday from their boss Gianni Infantino’s failed plan to sell stakes in future World Cup profits to private investors.
GENEVA — Two senior FIFA executives — coaching great Arsène Wenger and CEO-like secretary general Mattias Grafström — distanced themselves Tuesday from their boss Gianni Infantino’s failed plan to sell stakes in future World Cup profits to private investors.
Wenger said in a statement he knew nothing of the $20 billion plan and that it was “absolutely necessary” to drop the proposal, and Grafström sent an email to all FIFA staff — seen by The Associated Press — calling the last week a “sad and reproachable series of events.” He also said it created “turmoil which is difficult to comprehend and accept.”
Neither directly named Infantino or offered support for the now-embattled president.
The comments by Wenger and Grafström had echoes of the direct criticism from FIFA chief operating officer Kevin Lamour, who said Friday that staff had been “deceived” by Infantino’s private equity plan, which provoked a furor in global soccer. Lamour called it the “project of one person” and said FIFA staff “deserve better than contempt and intimidation.”
The three executives are respected and trusted figures among the 211 FIFA member federations who now hold sway over Infantino’s grip on a presidency that looked unshakeable after the World Cup ended barely two weeks ago.
Rating: 5