Iran denies Trump claim that new talks will start Monday after he called off attacks
The United States and Iran will hold new talks Monday afternoon, President Donald Trump said, after announcing he called off intense new strikes to allow for a deal on the Strait of Hormuz and Tehran’s nuclear program.
The United States and Iran will hold new talks Monday afternoon, President Donald Trump said, after announcing he called off intense new strikes to allow for a deal on the Strait of Hormuz and Tehran’s nuclear program.
Iran said Monday it was not currently holding talks with the U.S. but was in discussions with Oman over a temporary safe route through the strait.
“We currently do not have negotiations with America,” and Iran had no plans to host foreign delegations or send negotiators abroad in the coming days, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei told reporters.
Trump said earlier that he agreed to call off the attacks amid what he said were the “perimeters of a deal” that would include resuming shipping through the key global trade route.
Speaking on Air Force One on Sunday, Trump said the canceled strikes were going to be “the biggest attack since World War II.” The president said that the U.S. is “holding” what would have been a “massive attack,” but that it could still take place “anytime we want.”
https://www.nbcnews.com/world/iran/trump-iran-talks-attacks-canceled-hormuz-nuclear-rcna590535
Rating: 5