Israel conveys concerns to the U.S. about Hamas disarmament deal
Israel says it has shared concerns with the United States about the proposed disarmament deal with Hamas, raising new doubts about the agreement touted by President Donald Trump.
Israel says it has shared concerns with the United States about the proposed disarmament deal with Hamas, raising new doubts about the agreement touted by President Donald Trump.
“Israel has conveyed its comments and concerns on the proposed framework to our American counterparts. The version that has been made public does not reflect Israel’s position,” Doron Spielman, a spokesperson for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office, said in comments sent to NBC News.
The comments — the first clear public reaction from Netanyahu’s office — follow a deadly weekend in the Gaza Strip.
At least 19 people were killed in Israeli attacks Sunday, according to the local Health Ministry. The Israeli military said the strikes targeted Hamas militants and infrastructure.
Family and friends mourn a victim killed in an Israeli airstrike, at Al-Shifa Hospital on Sunday, in Gaza City. Ahmad Hasaballah / Getty ImagesIt’s the latest sign of tension between Trump and Netanyahu, who faces a difficult re-election battle in October. The two leaders met last week, days before the disarmament deal was unveiled.
Rating: 5