Woman blames listeria-contaminated baby spinach for her stillbirth
A pregnant woman said she lost her unborn baby after eating spinach contaminated with listeria, according to a lawsuit filed by the expectant parents against a
A pregnant woman said she lost her unborn baby after eating spinach contaminated with listeria, according to a lawsuit filed by the expectant parents against a produce company and others.
Days after being diagnosed with Covid-19 in December, Mecca Shabazz, 25, had Fresh Express baby spinach in a smoothie while she was quarantined at home, the suit states.
On Dec. 15, she went to the emergency department with bleeding and painful contractions, and physical exams indicated no fetal movement, according to the lawsuit. Shortly after, the fetus was confirmed dead, and Shabazz delivered the stillborn child that same day, the suit states.
An autopsy determined that the sole cause of death for the fetus was maternal-fetal listeriosis, according to the lawsuit, which was filed late last month in Philadelphia County.
On Dec. 20, Fresh Express announced a recall of salad products produced in a facility in Streamwood, Illinois, because of possible listeria monocytogenes.